Butler has uploaded a video of my commencement address to the class of 2013, which one can’t help but notice…is longer than the 12 minutes I so confidently promised. I sort of quit working the last month and did nothing but write this speech, and I couldn’t even get the time right. (I guess I read a lot faster alone in my basement.)
I’d like to thank everyone who’s shared the speech, especially the Los Angeles Times, Publishers Weekly, Galleycat, and Entertainment Weekly.
If you’d prefer to read the speech, you can do so here.
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, one of the worlds coolest celebrities both on, and off the set.
I think I’ve reblogged this before, but it’s still adorable, so I’m rebligging it again.
He said Star Trek is too “philosophical”? Screw that noise.
I don’t know when this interview happened but I AM SAD AND ANGRY NOW
The philosophies in Star Trek are kinda part of the actual setting. If you don’t get that, why are you allowed to make Star Trek movies.
Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that it’s philosophical. If you don’t want philosophical Science Fiction, there’s plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trek’s DNA, and if you’re given the captain’s chair, you’d better damn well respect that.
There’s a lot to discuss here
OH MY FUCKING GOD WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON HERE
“It’s like I was saying, kids: don’t take shit off of anyone.”
….this photo 0_o
1. When you’re at a hotel, don’t solicit the front desk clerk for sex.
2. Or the housekeepers.
3. Or anyone. They’re at work. If they go with you to your room they could be fired, but at the same time their 1 job while they’re at the hotel is to be nice to you.
4. If you ask someone when she gets off work and she is evasive, let it go.
5. Don’t follow it up by asking where she lives.
6. If she tells you she’s gay, let it go. Maybe she is actually gay! Maybe she is trying to give you a “valid” reason she’s not hopping on your dick that’ll be gentle to your ego. Either way, let it go.
7. Definitely don’t suggest “trying anyway”. Because she might hit you with a stapler, you fucking shitsack.
That pie thing I mentioned a few days ago?
It’s up! Six super-easy icebox pies for summer. Go check it out. And make pies.
S. Ross Browne
Ummm…I am so VERY into this right now!
But Black people in period or fantasy settings totally makes the stories unreal.
Also holy shit I love these.
How come I don’t run across this stuff regularly?
Because of racism and the retroactive erasure of POC in Medieval Europe. Pretty much the same reason you almost never see these works of art either unless you’re already looking for them:
Eartha Kitt slamming and shutting down street harassment and objectification in Anna Lucasta (1958)